With the pump and my DIY/rebuilt pool filter running great, I still faced a problem with pollen. It has been very heavy the last few weeks and I’ve had a heck of a time, getting it out of my pool.
That was up until last week, when I discovered diatomaceous earth (commonly known as DE).
It turned out that the filter was passing the water AND the pollen. The filter was not catching it, because the pores were too big.
So, I bought some diatomaceous earth from the local pool store. I mixed about 8 ounces of the stuff with 16 ounces of water in a bottle and dumped it down a short piece of pipe, into the water intake. I had to frequently shake the bottle to keep the DE mixed in the bottle. Actually, I had to fill the bottle up several times, continuously agitating the mixture, to get it into the filter.
I then ran the pump continuously for 24 hours. The next morning, I pulled the filter element out and hosed off all the yellow goop. I put the filter back in and repeated the same ritual several times.
After a couple of days, the pool was noticeably clearer and I reduced the amount of DE to about 4 ounces.
Sunday morning, there were just a few little globs of yellow on the bottom, so I hooked up the hose and vacuumed the entire bottom.
I then cleaned the filter one more time and today, Monday, everything is absolutely crystal clear.
The DE did the job in fine style.
Apparently, DE is used for all kinds of filtering duties, including beer and wine. It is a very fine powder that seems to stick together, very well, wet or dry. A word of warning, it is abrasive and shouldn’t be inhaled. Don’t breath in the dust cloud!
I’m glad I found this stuff and will be looking for useful applications, in the future.